Posted By Administration,
Thursday, March 9, 2017
Updated: Wednesday, March 8, 2017
| Comments (1)
Ever wondered how to get your knitted and crocheted hats to keep their shape? According to expert crochet artist Sarah McFall, from Yarn & Blarney in the UK, it is a good idea to 'block' your yarn creations.
Damp blocking uses moisture to set the natural fibres of the yarn in place. It is a very gentle procedure in which a finished piece of knitting or crochet is dampened and then carefully stretched. Flat projects, such as a scarves or blankets, can pinned to a foam mat as shown here.
It can be a little more difficult to block a hat, though, because of the shape, so we wanted to share Sarah's special hat blocking technique with you...
All you need is a hat, a balloon, a glass, a spray bottle and some water...
1) Inflate the balloon until its widest part has the same circumference as the finished hat. Use a tape measure to check this and keep adjusting the size of the balloon until you get it right - this may take a while but accuracy is important.
2) Once you are sure that you have the circumference right, tie a knot in the balloon and place it in an empty glass or vase so that it is free standing.
3) Carefully ease the hat over the balloon, as pictured.
4) Fill a spray bottle with room temperature water - not too hot or too cold - and spray the hat. If it is a slouchy style, get the hat really damp and then gently shape the slouch as desired. Fitted beanie styles just need a light spray.
5) Leave the hat until it is completely dry and remove it from the balloon.
For a limited time, Red Hat Society Members can get $40 off a subscription to HATalk e-magazine. Go to www.hatalk.com and enter coupon code rhs2016 at the checkout by March 31, 2017 to get this deal.
Not a member of the Red Hat Society? There's only one, join the fun!
You are invited to join your Red (and Pink) Hat Sisters for an experience of a lifetime, where joy, laughter and the electricity of fun and friendship reign supreme. We welcome you to our next Funvention as we Let the Good Times Roll in New Orleans, Louisiana . Let this serve as your official invitation to the Red Hat Society's 2017 International Convention.
This post has not been tagged.